Thursday 16 January 2014

We are not sick!


This is about Miss Universe runner-up 2012 Jenna Talackova petition to be signed, to remove transgenderism and transsexuality from classification of mental illness.


It is really everyone's choice to sign petition, and I admit I don't like to sign too many for various reasons. One of them is, lack of information of original post, second one is lack of information about carrier publisher.  So i am genuinely afraid it is just another phishing, and my name will be endlessly proliferated on webb net whith end result of targeted advertising popping out on me in everything I want to look at later on.

There is one exception:
  Recently I am convinced to sign another one, instigated by Miss Universe top runner-up Jenna Talackova. Due to one fact which nobody likes to talk about, and that is, transgender and transsexual people suffering from gender dysphoria are still in official category of mental illness, as described in WHO. Canadian health care system has no other choice, but to follow these international standards.  There is a motion, mentioned in last Coastal Health presentation by Ms.Knudsen Team (Commissioner for gender affirmation surgeries for BC), that they are  pursuing to remove gender dysphoria diagnosed group from this stigma carrying category.  Honestly, when I think about it, I don't really know which different group it should be under instead.     Sure nobody likes to be classified into such unpopular category, but that is a today's reality and I am glad that Commission and actual leaders (in BC) involved in shaping WPATH Standards of Care, are aware of it and did mentioned it openly during their seminar in fall of 2013.

I don't envy responsibility for changes while outlining directions of care for transgender people.  Situation is complicated even more deeply by fact that there is large and ever increasing group of people who fit description of gender-nonconforming and other derivations of it.  It makes the spectrum of transgender label very wide and hard to make changes which will include everyone and will satisfy needs to all.  I am afraid that is probably not possible without some sacrifices and adjustments. Even that will be hard to do.  So here we are, sitting pretty and being labeled having "mental disorder".  





Now, back to my topic of signing petitions. By being aware of above dificulties, and also knowing that webb net petitions succeed only in rare occasions I should be against signing another one. Quite oposite. For this time I feel and think differently. I will sign Jenna Talackova's petition plea to remove label "transgender woman" and label "transgender man" from clasification of mental illness.  As Jenna says and other post-op women I know attest, we are healed and normal as rest of population of same gender. I can myself attest, that after the final move (a surgery), negative signs of dysphoria is nowhere to be found. Gone!  I am not sick!  This is my main reason I am making exception to my rules and will sign Miss Talackova's petition same as 0ver 80 tousand people did.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment